The role is open for candidates with varied levels of experience - we care that you are passionate about data engineering and machine learning, that you have a strong focus on execution, delivery and customer impact, and that you craft code that is understandable, simple and clean.
You will join a growing team of knowledgeable and talented Data Engineers to develop a large-scale platform, data pipelines, MLOps and Analytics initiatives, currently transitioning to a public cloud-based infrastructure. You will work closely with our Machine Learning, Data Science and Analytics teams, as well as our platform and product teams.
We expect you to contribute to the architecture of our system, and help to make it more scalable and resilient. As part of our team, we want you to spot opportunities to improve the development work in all areas from coding and processes, to tools and testing.
What you can expect from us:
A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with multi-disciplinary teams.
Managers and colleagues who are invested in your growth as a data professional and as a person.
Work with cutting-edge Analytics and ML stacks, managed and open source. Including technologies such as Spark, Airflow, MLFlow, Flink, Kubernetes, Nomad, Elasticsearch, and Cassandra.
Deal with petabytes of structured and unstructured data that is used across our products and business.
Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work.
Work on some of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands and Belgium.
About the team
The Data Engineering team is responsible for driving new data capabilities and maintaining existing pipelines and tooling. It is a part of a newly formed Benelux Data organization, which also includes the Data Science and Product Analytics teams. The team is closely involved in the development of new ML products, experimentation, and insights. It is also responsible for evolving our ML operations tooling, and maintaining data pipelines.
* Work with the Data Foundation Team improving our Data Platform and embedded in cross domain teams solving their issues in a pragmatic way
* Be a key team member in development and design of new products that add value to our internal and external users
* Coach and mentor less experienced engineers
* Collaborate with your teammates on architecture decisions and solution design
* Continuously improve development work in all areas (coding, processes, tools, testing, etc.)
* Be responsible for the maintenance and stability of the data and ML infrastructure
* Work with your counterparts across the Adevinta group.
Experience in backend development (Scala or Python)
Experience in high traffic and/or distributed systems
Experience in cloud providers such as GCP/AWS.
Experience working with Data Scientists, Machine Learning pipelines and/or Analytics team
Experience in Big Data technologies such as Spark, Dataproc, and Hadoop
A degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Nice to have:
Experience in Kubernetes or Nomad
Experience in deploying, optimizing and maintaining Airflow, Kafka, Cassandra or Flink
Experience in ElasticSearch
Experience in Machine Learning lifecycle, CI/CD, MLOps
What you'll get from us:
- Competitive compensation package
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organisation
- Benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans
- Flexibility to work when and how you want - flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy - work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team - between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office depending on each team.
- ‘Work from anywhere’ weeks - up to four weeks working from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Career development, including language classes and Adevinta Academies: specialised content built by our experts on Machine Learning, Agile, Leadership and more
- 26 days of holidays
- Commuter allowance
- Subsidised gym membership + monthly massage
- Life insurance, retirement plan and generous family leave
Adevinta is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Marktplaats in The Netherlands, and 2dehands and 2ememain in Belgium, are part of Adevinta: a global online classifieds specialist with marketplaces in 16 regions. The three brands are hosted on a multi-tenant platform, operated from our Amsterdam location, and are the top players in the classifieds space throughout the Benelux region. We run on both Android and iOS apps, and on the web.
We offer consumers the opportunity to trade their unwanted products and contribute to a greener, circular economy. We offer businesses - of all sizes, from the smallest hobbyist to the biggest brands in Benelux - a platform to showcase their goods and services online to over 11 million monthly unique users.
Adevinta is recognised as a sustainability leader and is one of only six companies listed in the Media & Entertainment industry group on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) Europe.
We are seeking a professional individual to join our team as a Staff Data Engineer!