About the team
The central data product teams innovate and build products across user journey touchpoints namely ad insertion, search & discovery and personalization. These products range from personalized, complementary and similar listings recommendation systems, to ranking models, to user profiling and segmentation service and many more - helping our end users create perfect matches on our marketplaces.
The marketplaces in Adevinta’s portfolio fuel the central data platform with rich behavioral, content and user data on which we rely to build central products/services used globally.
We are on the lookout for top-notch software engineers in the data space to join our team and make a global impact in an exciting and dynamic environment. Come and join us!
About the role
As an engineer in one of the data teams you will build and run production-grade data and machine learning pipelines at scale in an agile setup. You will work closely with our data scientists, engineers, architects and product managers to create the technology that generates and transforms data into applications, insights and experiences for our users.
In addition to delivery ownership and tech excellence of our systems, our engineers help to make it more scalable and resilient. As part of our team, we would like you to spot opportunities to improve the development work in all areas from coding and processes, to tools and testing.
As Software Engineer, you are expected to:
- Design, productionize and own end-to-end solutions that solve our customer's problems.
- Define, plan, execute and support large scale strategic projects.
- Transforms data into a useful format for analysis, through optimized ETL jobs and streaming processing.
- Builds accessible data for analysis and data products development.
- Automates manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable use.
- Communicate and align with peers and cross functional stakeholders.
- Strive for technical excellence and pick the right balance between quality and speed of delivery.
- Be the go-to expert inside the org and influencer inside the team in several technologies and technical areas.
- Actively participate in department-wide cross-functional tech initiatives.
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers for growth and success.
Who are you
We are looking for someone who is passionate about data. You have a strong focus on execution, delivery and customer impact and craft code that is understandable, simple and clean. You have a growth-oriented mindset and a desire to support, improve, and otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you. You are a fast learner and thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You are a great teammate and believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- You have experience designing and productionizing large-scale distributed systems built around machine-learned models and big data. Experience with MLOps and associated best practices..
- You have strong expertise in Java and/or Scala programming languages. Python experience is a plus.
- You have experience with batch and streaming technologies: e.g Apache Flink, Apache Spark, Apache Beam, Google DataFlow,Kafka Streams.
- You have expertise with distributed data stores (Casandra, Google BigTable, Redis, ClickHouse, Elasticsearch) and messaging systems (Kafka, Google PubSub) at scale.
- You have experience with Linux, Docker, private and/or public cloud (OpenStack, GCP, AWS, Azure).
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience with at least 2+ years of data and machine learning related work or research.
- You are excellent in picking up new technologies in the data & distributed computing space.
- BS or MS in CS or a related technical field.
What we offer
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Adevinta offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organization
- Competitive compensation with benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans.
- Flexibility to work when and how you want - flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy - work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team - between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office depending on each team.
- ‘Work from anywhere’ weeks - up to four weeks working from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Career development, including individual training budget and language classes
- 26 days of holidays
- Commuter allowance
- Subsidized gym membership + monthly massage
- Life insurance, retirement plan and generous family leave.
We’re Adevinta, a global leader in digital marketplaces. Our household name brands, including Marktplaats in The Netherlands, Mobile.de in Germany and Leboncoin in France, reach hundreds of millions of people every month.
We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people and whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a car, an apartment, a sofa or a new job. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
Our brands are supported by Global Teams based in our main Hub in Barcelona and our other global Hubs in Amsterdam, Paris and Berlin. Our local brands are founded on the connections between people, and as an international group we create networks of talented Adevintans who work together towards a common purpose across geographies and disciplines.