Gumtree Australia is Australia’s favourite local marketplace connecting buyers and sellers in the local community to buy, sell and find just about everything. There are more than 3 million listings across hundreds of categories and 80,000 new ads are posted every single day.
On average, more than 7 million Australians visit Gumtree each month, and we’re proud to say we’re one of the top shopping apps in Australia.
Facilitating successful and safe local trade is our main priority. Our mission is to empower people and create economic opportunity and to be Australia’s favourite local marketplace for all of life’s needs.
We drive reliability and performance at scale by mastering the full depth of the stack. As an Engineer in our SRE team, we work on large scale system design and troubleshooting. We love solving the complex problems of scale. We work on cool open-source technologies and we keep our technology stack modern. We adhere to DevOps philosophies and contribute to architecture designs supporting innovative, scalable and fail-safe solutions. Our infrastructure handles hundreds of millions of page views a day and serves millions of customers all over the world.
A day in the life of…
- Works closely with the development teams, helping them with fast but safe delivery of changes from their local environment to production environment.
- Educates and coaches devs about best practices of SDLC.
- Helps development teams define SLIs/SLOs and implements error budgets for services.
- Streamlines build and deployment tools/processes/pipelines.
- Engages in automation to align with DRY principle.
- Creates tooling and measurement frameworks.
- Helps in troubleshooting interaction between services and infrastructure dependencies.
- Participates in architectural decisions about infrastructure changes.
- Gives the team an application perspective.
- Executes and delivers projects in short timelines, without sacrificing quality.
- Shows initiative in identifying the priority to align with team goals.
- Engages in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Participates in periodic on call duties.
- Participates in design reviews and operational readiness exercises of services.
You can fill these boots with…..
- Strong experience with CI/CD tools, processes and best practices.
- Strong experience with build tools such as Maven/Gradle/NPM.
- Strong experience with kubernetes (preferably GKE).
- Knowledge of golang, as a big plus.
- Experience with a public cloud, preferably GCP as a big plus.
- Experience with templating (helm/jsonnet).
- Solid background in Java development (spring-boot as big plus).
- Self motivation and thirst to understand how things work.
- Strong belief in the principle of “Keep It Super Simple”.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation including generous paid parental leave
- Allocated training budget
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Fantastic team culture
- Free health insurance, educational assistance program, dental and vision subsidies
From the moment that you join the Gumtree team we aspire to make your employment experience an awesome and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment, then apply and send us your CV!