What you’ll do:
Millions of messages go through and get delivered in our systems with low latency every day. The Connecting domain in the Trust and Connecting (TnC) tribe provides solutions for our marketplaces to communicate with their users, and to enable buyers and sellers to get in touch and negotiate as efficiently as possible.
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll lead and provide technical expertise to one of the connecting domains teams in Amsterdam. The team consists of seven skilled Backend Engineers who are in charge of two of our four chat systems.
- Lead, support and mentor the team with periodical one-on-ones to help them grow as professionals
- Create and set strategy and organisational level goals for the team, aligning with other stakeholders and the Product Manager
- Ensure timely and sustainable delivery of software
- Create and foster an open, sharing and blame-free engineering culture inside the team
- Be a driving force behind adoption of Agile methodologies and tailor a proper framework for the team
- Work with the product team and tech leads on building a strong shared technological and domain expertise
Who you are:
- 5+ years experience in a tech company, with at least 2+ years of experience growing and managing teams
- Good written, spoken and interpersonal communication skills in English (both technical and business)
- Good tech foundations (Software Engineering, Ops / DevOps, Cloud / Distributed Systems)
- Experience in Agile methodologies
- Resident of the Netherlands and entitled to work here (EU citizen, in possession of VISA, residence permit etc.)
- A learning mindset, curiosity and enthusiasm for solving interesting problems
What you’ll get from us
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organisation
- Benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans
- Flexibility to work when and how you want - flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy - work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team - between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office
- ‘Work from anywhere’ weeks - up to four weeks working from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Career development, including language classes and Adevinta Academies: specialised content built by our experts on Machine Learning, Agile, Leadership and more
- 26 days of holidays
- Commuter allowance
- Subsidised gym membership + monthly massage
- Life insurance, retirement plan and generous family leave
Adevinta is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
If you feel like you don’t meet all of the requirements for this role but are interested, please consider applying anyway. Research suggests that women and individuals from underrepresented groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We strongly encourage people from historically excluded groups to apply and look forward to speaking with you.
We’re Adevinta, a global leader in digital marketplaces. Our household name brands, including Marktplaats in the Netherlands, mobile.de in Germany and leboncoin in France, reach hundreds of millions of people every month.
We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a car, an apartment, a sofa or a new job. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
Our brands are supported by global Tech Hubs in Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris and Berlin. Their goal is to develop common global products and innovation platforms which all of our brands can use. This means using cutting edge technology to create highly scalable, customisable and secure products and components that free up development time and leverage our access to global data.