The First Party Advertising technology team (iCAS) is looking for a devops Engineer to strengthen the team. We are building an internally used advertising engine combined with seller tools, to deliver shopping listings to the multiple platforms we have within the eBay Classifieds Group. some of our complexities is the high traffic and volume demand, high uptime, handling click-fraud and optimising the listings being shown.
We do this through a technology stack mainly running through Go-lang based microservices, with eventing on Kafka, reporting on Clickhouse and Datastorage on MySQL. Recently we have started a project around Cockroach DB. We run these services through Nomad on our own private cloud, and we handle the dev-ops activities such as deployment (Github, Jenkins), uptime (lots of 9s), monitoring (Prometheus, Pagerduty, Grafana) and maintenance as well. Our frontend is based on NodeJS and Knockout. This stack is in constant evolution and flux to support growth as well as our own efficiency
* Up to 10K events per sec per service.
* System handling up to 9000 searches per second.
* Over 10 million live Listings
* Serving the biggest classifieds sites in CA, DE, NL and BE
* End-to-end ownership of the seller's journey, from the shop around the corner to big retail brands
What you’ll do:
- Dive deep into system and application performance and reliability issues; work with engineers in the team to produce and roll out fixes and improvements.
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack. Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation and monitoring to help prevent problem recurrence.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning. Participate in the on-call rotation.
Who you are:
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have experience managing large websites or services within the context of a large-scale web environment.
- You are able to execute and deliver projects in a high-pressure environment, without sacrificing quality.
- You are able to show personal initiative in identifying what needs to be done.
- You enjoy and want to automate everything so that you can sit back and relax!
- Google search is your best friend and open source repos and StackOverflow are your frequent stops.
The candidate we are looking for is an experienced DevOps engineer with a passion for open source products and systems automation and an interest in getting involved with backend code.
We are looking for expertise in several of the following:
- Good programming skills in one or more of: Go, python and open to pick up new ones.
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure automation tools and orchestrators (Hashicorp stack, SaltStack, etc.)
- Expertise with monitoring frameworks (Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus)
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring and strong documentation.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- You are good on your own, but shine in a team.
- Able to prioritize tasks and work independently.
The following is preferred:
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Expertise with Kafka and ElasticSearch
- Deep network analysis experience.
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities.
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Experience with public cloud (GCP, AWS).
What you’ll get from us:
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organisation
- Benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans
- Flexibility to work when and how you want - flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy - work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team - between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office depending on each team.
- ‘Work from anywhere’ weeks - up to four weeks working from anywhere, including from another country, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Career development, including individual training budget and language classes
Adevinta is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Covid-19: We’re reviewing the situation on a regular basis to ensure that we follow all local government guidelines and put the health of our people first. All interviews are currently taking place virtually.
We’re Adevinta, a global leader in digital marketplaces. Our household name brands, including Marktplaats in the Netherlands, mobile.de in Germany and leboncoin in France, reach hundreds of millions of people every month.
We’re all about matchmaking, and our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a car, an apartment, a sofa or a new job. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
Our brands are supported by global Tech Hubs in Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris and Berlin. Their goal is to develop common global products and innovation platforms which all of our brands can use. This means using cutting edge technology to create highly scalable, customisable and secure products and components that free up development time and leverage our access to global data.